Tuesday, October 14, 2008

It's official. Astrid is now a Canine Good Citizen!


The American Kennel Club offers a program called the Canine Good Citizen. It is a certificate program where the dog takes a 10 point test and if they pass, are rewarded with a certificate signifying that they have shown they have good manners both in the community and at home. Passing this test was very important to Astrid and me. First, Astrid is a shelter dog with a motto of 'Adopt, Don't Shop'. That makes it very important to us in proving what good pets shelter dogs can make. Secondly, there is a wave of discrimination sweeping the country against certain breeds of dogs and Astrid just happens to look like one of them. Astrid is a self appointed spokes dog for big, black and brown, shelter dogs everywhere.

Passing the test did not come without it's exciting moments. Most was a piece of cake for well mannered Astrid, but she is a bit of a social butterfly and the testing took place smack in the middle of a AKC Responsible Pet Ownership Festival. Cars, people, dogs...and yes, a few kitties looking for good homes everywhere. We had practiced so much both in and out of the classromm that most of it was routine and practically mechanical for Astrid. That is until we came to 'come when called'. I left Astrid in a sitting position with the evaluator and walked a short distance away. Turning, the route was lined with onlookers with their dogs. Calling Astrid, she immediately began running towards me when suddenly she spotted an Australian Shepherd on the sidelines that she must have thought was mighty cute, because she made a brief side trip to deliver a few kisses to the Aussie. I must have gotten out 'the voice' and called her a little louder, giving a clap of the hands (which I never do). That brought her concentration back to me, and brought her running over, completing the testing.

I'm not sure where we will go from here. It's often remarked that Astrid would make a good therapy dog. Rally Obedience is fun, and also would keep me moving. Whatever direction we take, Astrid is pure joy. Big, black and brown shelter dogs rock!

1 comment:

Johann The Dog said...

Yeah, Astrid passed! I'm a social butterfly too. On the sit for petting, I would leap up and kiss the evaluator. She gave me a couple of chances, and I passed too, barely!

Thanks for visiting my blogs!

Woofs, Johann