Monday, August 1, 2011

Helpful Facilitation

"Helpful facilitation is much more powerful and helpful than domination" (from Simple Taoism...A guide to living in balance). When trying to teach Astrid new things, I would often talk loud and slow. Did I really think the louder I said 'sit' the better she would understand it? How many times when out and about do you see someone with their dog  keep repeating the same command over and over, getting louder and louder while the dog stands there with that bewildered look in their eyes? That's why I love clicker training and shaping behavior so much. It's easier on me...I don't get exhausted trying to exert my will over hers...and with this gentle facilitation, once she's 'got it', she's got it for life. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OH it's so true...talking loud..doesn't help the matter..I also see others yelling commands at their dogs..I talk in a calm low voice..and due to you..I do clicker work with Brody...I love it..Love the video of sweet Astrid..she is a beauty.

nettinu said...

I learned this quite by accident. Tyler and I were at a SPCA function and Tyler was so very excited and acting up. He was not listening to me at all. I didn't want to draw any more attention to us and I figured raising my voice would just make him more excited. I put my mouth next to his ear and whispered sit. I actually had to whisper it more than once, but finally he turned his attention to me and sat down. That was two years ago. I now never raise my voice but remain calm and talk in a low voice. Tyler and I learn things together and sometimes by accident. :)