Monday, September 2, 2013

Not So Dreamy Dahlias

Dreamy Dahlia
For my first time ever growing Dahlias, I was very proud of the flowers produced last summer. I followed directions, full sun, water when needed and they rewarded me with big, beautiful blooms. Then, the frost came. Of course, that wasn't unexpected. I cut the dry straw like stems back to the soil surface....and that's where I left them. Sure, I had every intention of removing them from the soil and placing them a card board box on top of paper towels where they would over winter and be ready for an even more spectacular display next summer. Unfortunately, they were neglected. Sure I saw them and told my self I had plenty of time. Time went by and on one of my trips out the back door I passed the Dahlias in their pots. And they had green sprouts. They had tried to take care of themselves without me. I couldn't continue to neglect them, so picking them up  I took them outside to where they will receive full sun at least 8 hours a day. And produce flowers ...even without my tender care. They are producing small, dull in color, very small blooms with very short stems with already brown curling edges.
Not So Dreamy Dahlia

I usually write blogs about dogs. This one is too, in a way. Many of us take our dogs to classes or train at home all year, gaining skills, them shinning in their particular sport. Then summer break comes. We look forward to the rest and we think our dogs do to. We don't water them so much with practice and metaphorically speaking, maybe they don't get all the sun they need. Then we go back to class wondering why they seem a little brown around the edges. Astrid and I have a whole month to work on her skills before they will need to be displayed. We won't make the same mistake twice.

No comments: